One of the most typical dishes in Spain is the “Tortilla de patatas”; a recipe with simple ingredients but a great flavour. It can be eaten at any time and everyone love it. All Spanish students ask us about the recipe and they want to learn how to cook it to delight their friends and family when they are back in their homes. You can not live in Spain and not learn to cook this dish! Also, you’ll find a collection of cooking resources of more recipes.
- 4 potatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 3 eggs
Optional ingredients: pepper, ham, cheese, bacon, mushrooms, tomato, mayonnaise, and others…
- First peel the potatoes, wash them and cut them into thin slices.
- In a frying pan, over high heat, put three fingers of oil and once it is hot add the potatoes until golden brown.
- While chopping half an onion in very small pieces and when the potato is starting to cook add the onion. (If you want other ingredients in the tortilla mixture such as pepper, ham or cheese, add them to this mixture depending on the cooking time the ingredient needs).
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Once the mixture is very well cooked (about 25minutes), add the mixture to the bowl with the beaten eggs (trying to catch as little oil as possible) and add salt to taste.
- Stir the mixture well, that the egg pring all the pasta.
- Go back to the pan, now with medium heat, leaving only a layer of oil.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and wait for it to set and cook well completely. Once the bottom part is cooked, we can cover the pan with the lid or a large plate that covers it and turn it to be able to turn it over (be careful not to spill all the mixture on top of the plate in this movement!).
Once it is well done by both parties, it is ready.
Just add, if you want, ingredients in the upper part to taste (pepper, ham, cheese, bacon, mushrooms, tomato, mayonnaise, chaca, chistorra …) and eat!
It is delicious, both hot and cold, and it is perfect for any occasion!
Do not forget to try it and tell us how you did in your Spanish class (and if you want, bring us the proof!).
Aditionally, we’ve collected more cooking resources for you to know and use them at home!